Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Worthy Woman

It is sad that the only time Proverbs 31 is studied is either on Mother’s day or one of the first lessons in a ladies Bible study. This section is not only a call for women to fulfill their God-given roles as wives and mothers; it is a challenge to men. Am I being the man I need to be so that my wife can be the woman she needs to be? Or does she have to fill my role as husband and father too?


With some application out of the way, I want to share with you something that made me respect this “worthy woman” all the more. Verse 17 reads, “she girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong.” This is usually noted by commending her ability to work from sun up to sun down. She had to be physically strong to complete her day’s work. But I want you to notice something about verse 19, “She stretches out her hand to the distaff and her hands grasp the spindle.” The distaff is the wooden staff that the wool is on before it is spun as thread. The spindle is the flywheel used to collect the thread. You may wonder what this has to do with her being strong because this is a reference to her making clothes – or is it?



According to mythology, Anat, the warrior goddess of Ugarit, used the distaff and spindle as a weapon. So while, this woman is busy providing for her family, she may also be ready to protect them. While I would not want to push this point too hard, it is interesting that she is concerned with her level of strength, she holds onto the spindle (she does not simply use it), she is not afraid, and she is able to smile at the future. According to Tremper Longman, “warrior imagery” is woven in to the entire section on the worthy woman. It seems that the only thing this woman fears is God.

The next time you think about the worthy woman, do not just think of some docile little lady. This woman fulfills her God-given role as a wife and mother by loving her husband, providing for her family, and protecting her children. This is not the woman to cross at the supermarket!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER heard this take on the "Worthy Woman" also being a
'protecter'. I will never look at these passages the same again. I love the way you bring out another
prospective on your readings, all the while, not leaving the Scriptures. Keep up the good work.
I am NOT prejudice, just telling the truth.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have yet another
take on this Scriptures, all the while NOT leaving the Scriptures.
I will never look at the "Worthy Woman" quite the same. I had never thought about her as a "protecter" of her family also.

Marilyn (momma)